Parmesan Poppy Seed Straws
June 28th, 2007 | Category: Pastry
Crispy strips of salty Parmesan, buttery dough and playful poppy seeds.
I must warn you. These are highly addictive. Once you start eating, there is no going back.
One downside is that they must be eaten right out of the oven. Not a minute later. So you have to plan ahead and bake accordingly. Good news is they can be frozen for up to 2 weeks.
Here are some step-by-step photos on how to prepare them:
PARMESAN AND POPPY SEED STRAWS RECIPE
Recipe adapted from “Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook”
Yields 10 strips
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry, 4 * 8 inches
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Thaw puff pastry sheets in the refrigerator overnight. Place them on a tray lined with a parchment paper.
- Brush the top with the lightly beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Put another parchment paper on top and gently press on the dough. Do not stretch the dough, press just enough for the seeds to stick on to the dough. Place the tray in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Invert the dough onto the parchment paper, brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. At this point, you can also include any seasoning you like. Put the parchment paper on top and gently press. Place the tray in the freezer for another 10 minutes.
- With a large knife, cut 1 inch thick strips. Twist each strip as seen in the photo above and press the ends onto the sheet to hold their shape. At this point, you can refrigerate the strips overnight if you are not planning to eat them right away.
- If you are going to eat them right away, preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper, place 5 strips on each leaving an inch in between strips. Place the trays in the freezer for another 10 minutes.
- Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until the strips turn into a light golden color, about 18-20 minutes.
- These are best eaten the day they are made. They can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.