Sourdough Starter – Day 5
January 27th, 2012 | Category: Bread
Same as yesterday. The sourdough starter dried out on top, but it doesn’t look like a crust.
The starter is much thicker today, so I decide to keep the water ratio low.
I discard 80% of it, add flour & water, wipe the rim clean and put the cloth back on.
I also decide to tie a string around the glass bowl to watch the rise & fall closer. The photo above was taken 2 hours 45 minutes after the feeding. It rose by approximately quarter of an inch.
HOW TO MAKE A SOURDOUGH STARTER
SOURDOUGH STARTER RECIPE – DAY 5
Recipe adapted from “Tartine Bread” by Chad Robertson
- 125 grams (3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) bread and whole wheat flour (%50-%50) blend
- 100 grams (approximately 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon) lukewarm water
- Remove crust and discard 80% of the sourdough starter.
- Add flour and water and mix until no lumps remain.
- Wipe the rim clean, cover with a clean cloth and place in a cool spot in your kitchen.
Subscribe via RSS Follow