Sourdough Starter – Day 3
January 25th, 2012 | Category: Bread
Quite exciting compared to yesterday! The volume of the sourdough starter increased by almost an inch. It is very bubbly and a dark crust has formed over the top.
Smells like stinky cheese. Actually, the smell is so strong that I can’t go anywhere near it.
This means the culture is very ripe. It is time to do the first feeding.
I pull the crust back (with my nose closed), discard 80% of it, add flour & water, wipe the rim clean and put the cloth back on.
SOURDOUGH STARTER RECIPE – DAY 3
Recipe adapted from “Tartine Bread” by Chad Robertson
- 125 grams (3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) bread and whole wheat flour (%50-%50) blend
- 125 grams (1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon) lukewarm water
- Remove crust and discard 80% of the sourdough starter.
- Add flour and water and mix until no lumps remain.
- Wipe the rim clean, cover with a clean cloth and place in a cool spot in your kitchen.