Chocolate and Caramelized Banana Cake
Blog themes certainly don’t get developed on an empty stomach. Here is one of the sweet concoctions that kept me company while I struggled with margins and paddings.
Chocolate cake with a banana layer in the center. As if a cup of cocoa isn’t enough, it has chopped chocolate in the batter as well. Just yummy.
Chocolate and Caramelized Banana Cake Recipe
adapted from Dorie Greenspan’s “Baking: From My Home to Yours”
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1+1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 8 tbsp butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 1+1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour a 12 x 4 inch loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 cup of the sugar in a large heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium-high heat. Let stand until edge of sugar starts to melt and turn golden. Carefully swirl pan and continue cooking until sugar is a golden-brown caramel, 6 to 8 minutes. Add bananas, carefully roll in sugar, and cook, turning bananas occasionally until just soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer bananas into a bowl and mash them.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until softened (2 minutes). Add 3/4 cup of the sugar and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture in three equal additions and stir with a spatula until combined.
- Add the buttermilk and stir until combined. Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Pour the caramelized mashed bananas on top of the batter (make sure to leave half an inch gap all around) and top with the remaining batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil and bake for another 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven, unmold the came and place it on a wire rack. Let cool completely and serve.